10/16/2011

The Perfectly Imperfect Chef

Let me tell you a little bit about me…  I’m certainly no gourmet chef.  In fact, I’m not even close!  I have this way of taking the easiest recipe and somehow putting my own spin on it.  I may or may not have a history of forgetting steps altogether in recipes and not realizing it until I’m done cooking.  I’m also not all that patient when it comes to cutesy little details… but I will make my best attempt to replicate the recipes I trying!
I thought it would be fun to do weekly posts about my attempts at various recipes I find on the world wide web.  After walking you through the step-by-step recipes, I will share with you my “Lessons Learned”.  I’m sure most of you won’t need this advice, but hopefully you can learn from my failures (“mistakes”).  Maybe I’ll even become a better chef through this process!
That brings me to our first recipe – Funfetti Cookie Sandwiches (recipe brought to you by Baked Perfection.
I don’t know about you, but I LOVE Funfetti.  (Hubby and I love Funfetti so much that it was our choice for our wedding cake – Don’t judge!)
Here’s a picture of the goal:
Funfetti Sandwich Cookies from Baked Perfection2
Here’s what you’ll need:
IMG_0221
Funfetti Sandwich Cookies
makes approximately 24 sandwich cookies
1 (18.25) package Funfetti Cake
2 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Pour cake mix into a large bowl. Stir in eggs, oil, milk, and vanilla until combined.
IMG_0224
IMG_0230_edited-1
Drop teaspoons of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 7-9 minutes in the preheated oven. The bottoms will be light brown. Move cookies to a cooling rack, cool completely before assembling.
IMG_0265
Frost bottom side of half the cookies (see frosting recipe below). Top with unfrosted cookie. Roll edges in assorted sprinkles.
IMG_0269
 
Very Vanilla Frosting
recipe by Baked Perfection
1 stick of butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
pinch of salt
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Beat butter and vanilla until creamy.
IMG_0242
Add salt. Add powdered sugar 1 cup at a time, beating until combined.
IMG_0254_edited-1
Add milk 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach desired consistency.

Yum, yum, YUM.  Okay folks, here’s the….
Lessons Learned
1.  When you drop the dough, make sure you use a generous amount of flour on your hands to roll the dough.
2.  When you drop the balls on the cookie sheet, make sure they are pretty tiny little balls.  These cookies are a lot cuter when they are bite sized.  (My batch was a little bit bigger than I would have liked).
3.  When you frost the inside of the cookies, use the frosting sparingly.  If you add too much frosting it will spill out the sizes when you smoosh the cookies together.
Happy Baking!

6 comments:

rottrover said...

Are you wearing a cashmere sweater to bake in???

Those look yummy, BTW!

llevine151 said...

Mayyyybeeeee I'm wearing a cashmere sweater! Haha!
They were DELISH! I can't wait to make them again! :)

hi, i'm lauren said...

those look delicious!!! i just may have to try them :) thanks for sharing!

Ashley said...

oh my goodness. I'm going to repeat this recipe. My boyfriends grandparents recently gave me a box of cake mix & requested that I make them something. I think this is it! Thanks for sharing!!!
http://sunshinelifel​ove.blogspot.com/

Meg {henninglove} said...

you are so cute! i love your blog, now following. those cake sandwiches look great. p.s. how do you do your hair, it is gorgeous

Lauren L said...

Meg, welcome! You love this hair, huh?? Maybe I'll do a tutorial some time... It's extremely easy, but it's good to know someone likes it :-)

Post a Comment

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...