10/22/2011

Healthy Comfort Food {Guest Blog}

Fall has nearly come and gone (although it’s difficult to see a change in seasons living in San Diego).  I miss the chilly evenings I experienced for so many years in Northern Cali – It may be difficult to believe, but mid-70’s weather does get old after a while!

Although it’s difficult to distinguish the difference between Summer and Fall when looking out the window, I still love to indulge with some delicious Fall dishes.  I’ll never forget the Thanksgiving soup I made a few years ago… I couldn’t help but share the recipe with you.  Turns out my best friend was already planning on making the soup, so I asked her to document!

Meet my best friend, Stacey Syverson: Owner of Sunshine Daydream Events and Event Planning Extraordinaire! 

 

Jan2011 007


Healthy Comfort Food?

Yep. This perfect fall recipe satisfies that need for something warm and tasty- and for barely any calories at all! Brightly colored (naturally) foods are total super foods that are packed with all kinds of nutrients. You can’t get a more beautiful vibrant orange than this squash!

This recipe came from some home magazine and my lovely friend Lauren made it for Thanksgiving. It was love from there on out. I have since continued to recreate this magic cup of soup every fall and winter since. Try it and you’ll see why!

Here’s what you need:

squash

This is a monster butternut squash- you don’t need one this big but I found it at the local farmers’ market and I couldn’t resist!

Also:

ingredients

OH and this is my little helper! She eats anything I drop on the floor ;)

kira

To begin, I always peel, de-seed, and cut the squash first because that takes the longest and requires the most effort. You want the squash in ¾ inch pieces… Keep in mind the photos you see will represent a double batch since I had so much squash!

cut up squash

Then:

Heat oil in an 8 quart stockpot over medium high

Add onion and carrot and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 mins or until onion is soft.

veggies no broth

Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds or until aromatic. This is when your kitchen transforms into that yummy, cozy, I’m-cooking-something-delicious smell!

Add squash and broth and bring to boil.

veggies with broth

Now add the sage which I don’t like too finely chopped because it adds so much visually to the soup with all the color.

sage

broth with sage

This is a very important step- Don’t forget to pour yourself a glass of wine Smile

wine glass

Then let the goods continue boiling for about 20 mins or until vegetables are tender.

Then you can turn off the heat and start transferring the vegetables and liquid into a blender. I use one of these babies. Yes, it may be circa 1970 or something like that but sometimes the oldies work the best!

blender

Blend until smooth.

soup and ladle

Then season with salt and pepper- which absolutely makes the dish.

soup in green bowl

So you’re eating something that tastes delicious but when you think about it, it’s pretty much all veggies! Yum! OH and you can freeze it small Ziploc bags and then you pull it out the day you want it, and by lunch it’s thawed!

Here’s the list of ingredients and measurements. Enjoy!

What you need:

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

1 medium onion, chopped

1 carrot, peeled and cut into ½ inch pieces

3 cloves garlic, minced

3 ½ lbs butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into ¾ inch pieces

6 cups low sodium chicken broth

¼ cup chopped fresh sage

2 comments:

rottrover said...

MMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!

{lauren} said...

yummm! looks so delish! thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment

Leave some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...